Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Korea loves bush + art museum + more korea love bush

I decided to go the seoul museum of art. It seemed pretty easy to find from the map, but I naturally got completely lost once I got off the subway. The city is so cool that I wasn’t too worried and just started wandering around hoping that I would magically run into it. I ended up at city hall were there was massive pro-bush rally going on. They had a band playing, people singing, a huge banner that said welcome president bush, and tons and tons of old people waving korean and american flags. I wasn’t sure if he was actually going to speak at the rally or not, so I went up to the front and a korean lady ran and gave me pamphlet and a seat in the front (I was the only american I saw all day, so I must have looked important). I sat for a few minutes and tried to decipher the pamphlet, but I can’t read any korean, so I was out of luck. I decided that since I saw to secret service, the president was probably not going to speak. So I went off to find the museum again.

After a little more wandering I was able to locate it. I was all contemporary which was a relief because I really am not a fan of traditional asian art. They had a really cool exhibit of multimedia art works that all focused on perception. They also had a two floor exhibition of contemporary abstract korean art, which is very minimal and seems very focused on color and texture.

After the museum the crazy pro-bush rally was in full swing. People chanting “we love bush USA!!!” lots of korean war vets in uniform walking around. It was very weird to see the we love bush and freedom isn’t free signs in english and korean. Bush is so unpopular everywhere, and the USA isn’t very far behind, so it was beyond a surprise to be in the middle of this rally while in korea. Since I was the only white dude around everyone was coming up to me and waving their american flags and giving me big smiles. It was very surreal, I was actually hoping to stumble into the anti-american protests which were apparently near by (I could tell by the presence of riot police) because I wanted to see some action. I think seeing this was actually cooler though because anti-america and anti-bush rallies happen every day, pro american rallies are pretty damn rare. I guess I’m lucky I got lost.

wtf!!! koreans love bush!?!?!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


some cool art
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

Sirron said...

i can c y they love bush cuz our President of now is better than the person they have but 2 me i really dis like him..he makes bad choices wen it cums 2 our country..but good 4 da Korens..THEY CAN HAVE HIM..lol(BARACK OBAMA)
-Stacey Norris(7A)-(8D)