Friday, June 26, 2009

Oulu with Steve

Yeasterday I took a train from Helsinki to Oulo. It took seven hours to get here and the train had a cool bistro right in side. Steve and his brother picked me up and we hung out with his family for a while. Oulu reminds me of being the in U.P. There are lots of trees and everything seems very relaxed and low key. Most of Finland reminds me of the US. Everyone can speak english and dresses pretty much like we do. One thing that is different is that most of the guys have pony tails! I don't have to feel like a weirdo with my long hair any more. Another weird thing that I still have not gotten used to is the sun never setting. We were out on the town until at least 2 am and the sun was still up and people were all over the place. I guess the sun does go down at some point but I have yet to see it happen. So far it has been nothing but blue skies! We are heading further up north so Steve can run in the Arctic Marathon. I'm not sure if there is going to be any web, so there might not be any updates for a few days. I have a bunch of pics that I'll post as soon as I get a chance.

2 comments:

Julie said...

seriously, the sun never sets. even when it "goes down" it's never completely dark. it just sort of disappears from the sky, but there is always still a glow.

Julie said...

also, when steve and i took the train from helsinki to oulu, we were for some reason under the impression that it was a two hour train ride. steve thought he had remembered it was relatively short, and neither of bothered to look at a map, think logically about the distance were traveling, or ask anyone. we just say patiently listening for our stop. haha, good times. are you guys planning on going to nivaala to the farm where andy's former host parents live?