Monday, June 22, 2009

summer of 09 begins!!!


It's about that time for my summer adventure. This year things have started out with disaster after disaster. My flight to boston was canceled after waiting on board for four hours. When I went to the service desk to figure out what I could do next they told me run down about 20 gates and get on a plane to amsterdam and I would be able to make it to finland on time. I made it to the gate and got to amsterdam, but that is where my luck ended. They couldn't get me to helsinki without me having to pay 300 euros and basically said that NWA lied to me to get me out of their faces. Needless to say I didn't have much choice but to pay the money and get to Finland. The problem is that I was meeting steve at 2:30 pm and I didn't get in until after 5 pm. I still have no idea how to get a hold of him since we were both to stupid exchange contact info before we let for finland. I still had a pretty good day once I got here. After a hot shower at the hostel, I took a tram into town. Helsinki reminds me of New York but without the hustle and bustle. There are still incredible buildings, stores, bars, women, etc. But Helsinki seems so calm, almost like a college campus, with people lounging everywhere you look. I stopped and had quite a few pints to take the edge off of the terrible day. I ended my night watching two old dudes playing cool jazz at an out door bar. It is almost midnight and the sun is still out. I hope I can get a good nights sleep and get stuff straightened out tomorrow. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Ms. Schirmer said...

proud of you! I'm glad you made it there safe.