Tuesday, July 8, 2008

big update, net has been down in Usa River for a few days

Friday night-

Friday night was Sal and Marks last night staying at the house. Mark was flying home
Sunday morning and Sal is going to stay with his family in Tanzania. His uncles were
born here. Apparently the British brought alot of Indians over to Tanzania to help build railroads and many of them decided to stay. We spent the day hanging out with the family and taking pictures. We took the whole family except for Mr. Joseph who stayed to guard the house.The first restaurant we went to did not have enough food to feed all 13 of us (we had our host families aunt and uncle and two daughters with us as well). At the next restaurant they had enough, but all they had to eat was kuku and chips (chicken and french fries), so all I ate for dinner was a plate of fries and a few beers. We had a huge talk with Sia’s uncle about African and American politics. He was very well educated and said alot of things that surprised us. He felt that Africa’s biggest problem was a lack of leadership and education. He told us that George Bush was a much better leader than anything they have ever had in Africa. He also did not trust Obama because he was from Kenya. He was very disappointed that Hilary Clinton did not win the nomination. He went as far to say that Africans were cursed by god because all they do is kill and steal from each other. We have not seen very much violence of theft since we have been hear, but it must be there just bellow the surface because everyone is very cautious and careful. I think we have just been lucky so far. It was an intense and enlightening conversation. I wish I had a tape recorder so I could have captured ever word. I don’t think I have ever learned so much about a culture and a place in such a short amount of time.

Saturday-

Today Sal and Mark packed up so we could leave for town after lunch. They said their
goodbyes to the family and took some group pictures. The family was pretty upset to
see them go. I will be too. I don’t think that I have ever hit it off with two people as quickly as I did with them. We have the same taste in music, film, and humor. We went into town and had tea and snacks with Sal’s uncle. His house is right in down town Arusha. I was able to take my first hot shower of the trip. After that we went to Massi market and Mark haggled with the locals for a good deal. They kept telling him mazungu (mazungu = white tourist) prices so he lectured them on the importance of truth and honesty in business (he has a degree in commerce). It was hilarious.. We had a pizza for dinner in a tourist part of town and then went out to a night club called Massi club. I was a huge out door club with a DJ and lots of lights. Most of the music they played was terrible western music. The crowd was also a much more shady group. Lots of drug dealers and scary local dudes looking to pick up white girls. We all made the most of it though and ended up dancing until the club closed at almost 4 am. We figured that it was too lake to go back to out host family’s house in Usa river so we all crashed at Sal’s uncles house in the city.

Sunday-

Sal’s uncles house keeps cooked us delicious fresh omelets and and toast for breakfast and I was able to take another hot shower. Jarrod and I said our goodbyes and caught a cab back to Usa river. Our driver was stopped by a corrupt cop who wanted a bribe from our driver because he did not have a taxi license. Apparently the cops here are not payed very well and many of them are corrupt. When got home I napped for a few hours and then had a talk with Mr. Joseph. I learned that he owns the property next store and uses it as a garden to grow all of the food that we have been eating. Dio took me over for a tour. It was a beautiful garden which also has three cows that they milk every day and use in our tea. Tea time is very import to the family, so I have been drinking 7+ cups of sweet milky chi a day. After that Me, Jarrod, Dio, Tuominie, and Mercy went to the pool to swim. None of the family can swim so we tried to give them some lessons, but were not very successful. We saw a Diki Diki and some Impala on our way home. I was also able to take some great pics of Mt. Meru. When we got back the power was out (it goes out all the time). When it came back on we ate dinner, watched some tv, and went to sleep early.

Monday-

Today Me, Jarrod, Dio got up early today and went into Arusha town. We did not have toteach today because it is a national holiday. We met two other volunteers at a fancyMazungu pastry shop in town. We went to help out in the orphanage that they have
been volunteering at. The town was on the outskirts of Arusha and was very poor. Kids
were playing with garbage in the dirt and the houses were not more than glorified huts.It was very different from Usa River. The orphanage had about twenty kids most ofwhom had been abandoned by their parents and a few whose parents died of aids.
Most of the floor inside the orphanage was dirt which turns to giant mud puddles when itrains. The kids were pretty happy considering their situation and living conditions. Wehelped paint one of their play rooms and aid lunch with the staff. The one good thing about being an orphan is that everyone in Tanzania has plenty to eat. I think I might actually gain some weight while I’m here.After that we went to the Masai market and I bought some things to take home. Dio helped all of us barter for better prices. I was able to get a thumb piano, a cool little statue, and big rungu (a cool wooden war club). I think it will be an early night tonight because we have to teach in the morning and we don’t have Mark or Sal to help us any more.

Tuesday-

We took Dio with us to the school day. He was super helpful. He checked papers and
helped me explain some things in Swahili. I was trying to teach the 3rd graders about
soil erosion and it was a disaster. At one point during the lesson I jumped out the
window and grabbed a hand full of dirt and put it on a girls desk. They still didn’t get it. A bunch of tourist from Texas came by the school. The students all went outside and and sang a bunch of songs for them. It was adorable. I sat talked with the Texans for a while in the hopes that maybe they will donate some money to the school. Tommorow is my last day at the school. Thursday morning I leave for safari.

plane ride to Tanz
Photobucket
House families guard dogs (i think they are geese and they hate me)
Photobucket
crazy lizard on my finger
Photobucket
mt. meru (i see this view or better all day every day!!!!)
Photobucket
some kid and his animals out side the school
Photobucket
the family at via via night club
Photobucket
me and some hot local at via via (she has on my hat!)
Photobucket
tons more pic to upload, but my connection keeps timeing out. more ASAP!

2 comments:

Ms. Schirmer said...

so this is the prostitute hey?

not only will you be getting an AIDS test, but you will get lice, scabbis, etc. tests too when you get home.

you're dirty

TMARTIN said...

mr.mylenek u r n big trouble mister...