Sunday, July 10, 2016

art/cops/heat/fun

Every day I've been finding new art to check out. We did the gallery district and went to the last of the three big art museums in the city. There's a great old factory that's only a few mins away from our apt that has been turned into an incredible gallery space. I think if Sunni has to look at one more piece of art she is going to kill me. We took a long nap in Madrid's version of central park yesterday. The park is 5 times bigger than central park and it has a lake, a gallery and glass house. It's about 20 degrees cooler under the shady trees. I think we would have both died from heat stroke if we didn't take a breather there.

At night we've been going to the Malasana area to drink and people watch. The square in the center jams with people drinking like a giant street party. There are people everywhere trying to sell you beers out of plastic bags, so you don't even have to go the store. This is super fun, but also NOT LEGAL The cops chased all of us out each night. The first time they did it, I went back and asked the cop what was going on and he made a motion like he was "sweeping out the trash". Lol. About an hour later a plainclothes cop kicked me and Sunni off the corner where everyone congregated after they swept out the park. The cops are very friendly, so we didn't get a ticket or arrested.

Last night I saw some people ducking in what looked like a fenced off construction zone that turned out to be a makeshift out door dance club. It was perfect. Everyone was doing all those complicated spanish dances in unison surrounded with graffiti and diy furniture and planters. Makes me wish I knew some actual dances (no way I could participate with my moves).

view from the balcony in our room

this lady nailed fruit and veg to the walls. it sounds dumb, but it was a great exhibit 




central park "el retiro"

actual black swans!







GIANT vertical garden


















No comments: