Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Granada

We're finishing up our stay in Granada. Soon after we arrived we took a walking tour up a huge hill to the top of the city. The hills are filled with man made caves that house gypsies and hippies. Apparently the government wants them gone, since they don't pay any money. The community was actually pretty cute, they had gardens and solar cookers for their food. I'm not really sure how they get their water or use the bathroom....

We got up the next day and went to the Alhambra. It's a huge arabic palace that looms over the city. We spent about three hours wandering through the gardens and rooms with ornately carved walls and ceilings. It's a very magical place, and I can see why it's such a big deal in Spain.

We made friends with two guys from the states and spent most of the night hanging out at the hostel with them. We overdid it a bit, and ended up sleeping in until almost noon. There was nothing open in the entire city except the science museum (it's like a ghost town on Sunday). I wasn't expecting much, but the museum turned out to be great. It's a huge complex with lots of hands on stuff (and English so we could actually read what was going on). After that we took a long nap and went out and watched the sun set behind the mountains.

We booked a hike on our last day. I was thinking about trying without a guide, since I found some maps and GPS coordinates, but I'm glad we went with a group. It got pretty high up and if our GPS would have gone down, there was no way we would have gotten out. It was wonderful: we started off in the woods, along a small river with little waterfalls. As we got to the rocky parts, people were all rope climbing. We had to take cute little rope bridges. We swam for a while and then (in FULL midday sun) got to the more mountainous part. The views were amazing! I couldn't bring myself to look over the edge at the top though. By the time we got down and reached a little place for dinner I thought I was for sure going to pass out. I couldn't see at all. Thankfully it passed and I was able to get back to the bus on time. I felt bad for the little old lady who ran the restaurant. I think she thought I going to die in there. (I'm fine now. I think it was just a bit too much sun).

 the alhambra is the huge thing up top
















a whale's heart is HUGE




bad idea after a long night out...

darwin

curie

einstein

























No comments: