Friday, July 8, 2016

sweating it out in madrid

The flight into Madrid was weird. Right when we were about to land they made the following announcement: "The pilot has chosen not to land the plane at this time." Gulp. What the hell does that mean? They followed it up a few mins later saying something about a runway inspection (and I swear I heard the word terrorist, but I couldn't tell). After about twenty mins of circling we landed with no further problems. I overheard some guy whispering to the girl at the info desk about policio, but when I asked what the hell was going on she played dumb. I guess it was nothing... still had me a little freaked out.

We are staying in some cool dudes bedroom while he sleeps on his couch. It sounds a little strange, but it's been great. His apartment is super cute and in a perfect location to the all the big museums and the downtown area. He also has a crazy little cat that keeps attacking me and Sunni. Lol It's so hot here that I can see why everything closes for a few hours in middle of the day. We're trying to adjust to 10pm dinners, but it takes some getting used to. We are just fine with midday naps. We spent our first day doing the main tourist drags, and reading in a huge park. If you didn't know better you'd think you were in Manhattan (it even smells like NYC).

We bought the art ticket so we can visit all three of the huge art museums. Today we visited the Prado and Thyssen Bornemisza. The Thyssen was good, with a nice well rounded collection. The Prado is normally a museum I would skip, no modern or contemporary pieces, just the classics, but they happen to have a huge temporary Jheronimus Bosch exhibit!!! Yes, I got to see the "garden of earthly delights" in person. Mind = blown. Everyone was waiting patiently to get up close to all of his works, the guards had to keep shushing everyone because you can't not talk about these painting while you look at them. There is so much going on in each painting that everyone is constantly pointing out little details to each other. No pictures allowed, but here is an interactive of the garden if you are not familiar with his work.







not sure what's up with the Obama beef



I always thought this painting was huge, it's not. Only a little bigger than a standard piece of paper. 





the Prado is soooo big, there is no way a photo can do it justice. 


fighting with my new cat friend 


No comments: