Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nagasaki and Osaka

I don’t have too much to say about my night in Nagasaki. Aside from a pretty good modern art museaum the city really wasn’t very impressive. Their a-bomb museum and peace park pailed in comparison to Hiroshimas and my hostel smelled kinda funny. I got caught in the rain walking to my early morning shinkanzen and had to steal an umbrella to from the hostel (sorry Akiari house, I owe you one)
 
The hostel in Osaka is great. It is new and clean the couple that runs it are really nice. I actually ran into a girl from Michigan who is staying here. It is very rare to run into anyone from Michigan while abroad. I went to Osaka castle which looks cool on the outside but is just a lame museum on the inside. I spend most of the night with this goofy American I met looking for one particular korean restaurant  that he insisted on finding. We spent hours talking to locals (and using this really cool/expensive iphone translator he had) trying to find it before settling on some random Korean BBQ joint. It was a little frustrating at times but I would have just been out getting lost by myself, so it was nice to have some company and he bought me a ton of soju at dinner.
 
My second day in Osaka started out a rainy mess, but managed to find Amerika mora where everyone gets their wierd bastardized american clothes. It was a very hip area filled with crazy clothes, record stores and an awesome vintage toy store. I spent about 2 hours in Mandrakes which a four story Manga/anime/toy store. The place was like of museum of amazing Japanese stuff. The first floor was all toys, the second dvds and video games, the third manga and top floor was half cosplay stuff and the other half hentai. I bought some toys and two animation slides. Easily one of the coolest stores on the planet.

I got to see the seeder side of Osaka too. By tenoji station there is an old amusement park area that is full of cheap beer and drunk old men. I ate at a great little deep fry place and managed to get into what I think was an argument with an old drunk guy. The place was awesome. It is good to see the weirder more rundown side of Japan before I leave.

 

No comments: