Friday, July 16, 2010

second day in tokyo

I started my day with some noodle soup for breakfast. You can order your food by looking at a display of plastic food and then putting money in and choosing your meal. The ticket you get tells the cook what to make you. It is a great system. I went to the Ghibli museum. I have never been to anything quite like it. The animation they have is beautiful and the building is like a giant  playground. There are little doors that you can sneak through, a spiral staircase and a giant cat-car that kids can climb on. They show a film that can only been seen at the museum and the ticket is an actual piece of slide from the movie! The movie was so good I almost cried. Ghibli films have the same effect on me as pixar does (the turn me into a weepy baby). 

I spend the middle part of my day in Sinjunku. It was what Tokyo is like in the movies. Loud, busy, colorful and completely overwhelming. I played a few arcade games and went into an awesome toy store. I spent the rest of my afternoon and night hanging around the temple that is by the hostel. It has a ton of shops and restaurants around it, I should have gone and checked it out last night. I found the public bath that Lonely Planet mentions, but was scared I'd screw it up and chickened out (I assume you get naked and sit in hot water with a bunch of strangers, but if I'm wrong it could be pretty embarrassing). I am gonna talk to the people that run the hostel about proper etiquette in the morning so I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. 
















































































































































2 comments:

richard said...

sounds great so far. go get naked, you're not wrong. it's incredibly relaxing.

Anonymous said...

I took a Japanese culture course to fulfill the IS requirement and my pre-existing desire to go there grew immensely. There is a great book called "Crafting Selves" by a Japanese American sociologist who goes there to study their culture and labor force. Best required reading of my undergrad next to The Odyssey.
Anyway, continue to enjoy your travels and hell, just get naked in the bathhouse...since when are you concerned about etiquette? -Karen