Saturday, August 14, 2010

Buddhas and Guns

Lama Temple-
I have never seen or smelled so much incense burned. People burn huge boxes in front of each alter. They have a three story tall Buddha that was carved from one sandle wood tree!!! It is in the Guinness book of world records. I couldn't get a picture of it (no photography allowed, the monks get mad). I kept getting the feeling that it was going to start walking around like the marshmallow man in Ghostbusters. I think it might be the best Buddha I have ever seen.

 
Military Museum-
How the  lonely planet left out a four story building full of guns, bombs, tanks, and giant concrete propaganda statues is beyond me. China is a major military power and one walk through this place makes it very clear. Not a place to missed.

No comments: