Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hustling in Beijing

As soon as I got off the subway in Beijing I got lost. The map I had for the hostel was garbage and a sweet looking girl stopped to help me out. I knew instantly that she was running a scam, but figured that I could use it to my advantage. Apparently people will offer directions, friendship, etc as an excuse to get you you a tea/coffee house where  you are forced to pay crazy money or robbed. I let the girl and her friend guide me to my hostel (which I would not have made it to without them) and then made them wait while I checked in. I then walked them a half mile before insisting that we go get food/beer/coffee at a random place. The girl was so made that she started screaming at me: "how can you be so mean? I showed you to your hostel now get me some coffee where i want !" I said "sure as long as it is at this restaurant". She went crazy and screamed "FUCK YOU" and threw her water at me. I just laughed at her and went and got dinner. She is lucky that I am in China and not the States or else I would have acted much differently. It felt sooooo good to play a player.  Welcome to Beijing!!!

No comments: