Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Last night in China: best restaurant ever!

I was a bit sad because the huge gallery district that I had saved for
my last day was closed. I had to take the subway and a cab ride only
to find out that ALL the 50 plus galleries close on Monday. I decided
that I would treat myself to a fancy meal to cheer myself up. The
super cool Australian guy I made friends with got 5 of the girls from
the hostel to come with us. I picked this gourmet veg restaurant
called Pure Lotus that is run by monks. It took forever to find, but
when you show up there are men with lanterns waiting for you. As they
guide you to the restaurant women come out and clean your hands with
rose water. The door into the place is literally ten feet wide. We got
a private room for free because there were so many of us. The menus
are works of art: 5 inches wide and about two feet long. All of the
foods have poetry and phrases instead of names, so it is impossible to
know what the heck you are ordering. Our plates were giant oyster
shells and the place mats were real lotus leaves. We were all in awe
during the entire meal. The presentation, ambiance, and food were just
staggering. As you leave they hand you a beautiful purple lotus. I
doubt I will ever have a dining experience like that for the rest of
my life. Way to say goodbye China!

sorry the pics are bad. the room was very dark.

No comments: