Thursday, August 12, 2010

Out and about in Beijing

Beijing is exhausting. Everything seems to be a kilometer or two walk away from each other and with heat pushing the 100's everyday it has been brutal. There's tons of cool stuff here though. 

I spent half a day at the Forbidden city. It is sooo huge. It was jammed packed with Chinese tourist so I am lucky that I made it without choking a tour group or two. So pushy and rude.Hung out in Tienaman square. Very underwhelming. It looks much cooler at night when they light up the giant picture of Mao. There is a huge spaceship like performance hall that they call the "egg". It is spectactuclar at night. When you walk around it you feel like you are on another planet.

I woke up really early to see Mao under glass at his mausoleum. The line wrapped twice around the building. I heard that people cried and fainted when they saw him but they all seemed pretty happy to me. His body looked fake. Ho Chi Mihn was much cooler. I went to a crappy natural history museum. It clearly hadn't been updated since the early 90's. They did have a bunch of body parts and fetuses on display (which i liked) and a bunch of bugs (some were alive in cages!), but over all not really worth my time.

The Heaven Park was about a kilometer away. That was much better. Beautiful temples and lots of 400 year old trees. Not too many tourists and some traditional opera being performed by a small group. 


No comments: