Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Naraita city layover


I had a one day layover in Japan before I could catch my flight home (poor planning on my part). What could have been sheer boredom in Narita city ended up being one of the best days of my trip. Turns out the the monk who runs the local temple is the coolest guy on the planet. He booked an 17 piece experimental/jazz/rock/funkadelic/punk/gypsy band to play under the pagoda at his temple!!! Some of the highlights:


  • singer who danced like james brown and only wore red thongs and an open shirt

  • interpretive dancers who could have been from a tool video

  • theremin solo!

  • planes flying overhead every few minutes

  • the band marching off the stage into the crowd to play!

  • 2 and half hours of sweaty non stop dancing

Even with all the shows I have seen over the years, this still makes the top 5 list (and I have seen a lot of shows).





























No comments: