Friday, July 22, 2011

Cartagena or operation beach bum

The last couple days have been pretty rough. A three hour night train back from macchu pichu, a two hour scary van ride back to my hostel and the three flights with about 18 hours of layovers between them. Not fun. But that is what happens when you travel cheap and plan nothing. I got into cartagena around three yesterday. Its my first time in the Caribbean. The place is so cute. Colorful buildings, horse drawn carriages, tribal drummers and tradition dancers, and fresh fruit on every corner.

Last night was brutal though. After all my flights I just wanted to crash at like 10. When i got back from dinner, they had set up a bar and sound system directly in front of my dorm! Not cool. No sleep until they made everyone go to the club at like 1am. Apparently this is the norm thus- sat. Grrrrr. Not really what I'm in the mood for right now, but this is the only safe hostel with AC, so I'm stuck. I feel like such an old man.

I woke up at 8 this morning to a blue sky and blazing sun. Had some coffee and commenced operation beach bum. All the "nice beaches" are a boat ride away, but I'm from michigan, so every beach is a nice beach to me. By 9 I was playing in the waves! The city is small so I was able to walk most of it today and go to the modern art museum. I don't expect much action for the next week, just beach and relaxation (and two more nights of stupid loud spring break nonsense) .

P334
P336
P338
P340
P342
P344
P346

No comments: