Sunday, July 10, 2011

La Candelaria Night life

The place I'm staying is has some of the most insane night life I have ever seen. It is right by the university, so young people come out in droves as soon as the sun goes down. They sit everywhere and drink massive amounts of cheap booze out of paper bags. They also do insane amounts of drugs ( the green kind not the white) right in front of the cops. All cops do is periodically move people from one end if the square to the next. I haven't seen any violence or drama, but I have seen lots of music. It seems like everyone can play in instrument. I sat for over an hour in the cold and watched a rag tag band form. By the end there were two guitarists, two violinists, a drummer, a girl on maracas and another girl on recorder. They were incredible. I stayed with them until the cops chased us away. Shortly after I ran into a crew of rappers using these amazing home made boom boxes to play their beats. After a while I ran back to my hostel to get my vid camera and got a performance from a few of them. I shared some of my chicha ( home made corn booze that you buy out of a bucket!) and they showed me how their crew says hello and goodbye ( hand shake into fist pound, very urban). I wish I had pics of this madness but it is clearly not the type of scene where I can just pull out my dslr.

No comments: