Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Duomo

MASSIVE cathedral in central Milan. It's quite a sight as you come up from the subway. I almost didn't go in...but even though I'm not religious, I'm a huge sucker for cool churches. This did not disappoint. Flawless stained glass, huge arches, very modern lighting so you can see every little detail. It had a slightly scary vibe, possibly due to the overwhelming scale of inside.  My favorite part was the statute of St Bartholomew. At first I thought it was just a very skinny, muscular, vascular, ascetic, but I overheard a guide explaining that he was without skin. He is actually wearing his own skin like a shawl over his shoulders!!!!










1 comment:

Dennis Novak said...

I really envy you seeing the statue of St. Bartholomew. It is quite famous. Michelangelo included the image of his skin hanging down on the Sistine Chapel's Final Judgment Fresco. Also, Damien Hearst did a rather slick version called "The Exquisite Pain" a few years back. Finally, to show you that the Catholic Church has a sense of humor, patron saints are usually associated with the way they are martyred, thus, St. Bartholomew is the Patron Saint of Dermatologists or (skin) Tanners. I kid you not.